Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Game-on

On the 27th I'm running a game for my friends. It's going to be a 3.5 D&D game, in a modern setting. I'm also using it to playtest my skill system.

I was never super happy with D&D skills but I think the mechanics (roll a die, add your skill) work well. For the RPG I'm writing (we'll call it Spider) I have streamlined the 3.5 skills down to 20 skills, not including sub-skills (IE: Trade: basket weaver; Academia: Chemistry). I think that a more gestalt system allows for more customization, it terms of skills, fewer skills allow you to really do more.

One of the problems I forsee is that initially people will feel that they cannot do as much. But this is only a problem of expectation. Rob Donoghue had an interesting post about expectations in RPG's yesterday.

I think once people see that, while Spider is familier, it isn't the same, the expectation of needing 3 skills that are really just exstensions of eachother will go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment