Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Experienced

Bah. I don't know why I've been so gamer-brain dead lately.

It probably has something to do with my wife being out of town. I haven't done any work on Spider this week.

I have been thinking about my experience point system. How I want it to be as simple as possible. the d&d (3.x) way wasn't complex per se, but the totals were huge. What was it? 2500 for second level? I don't have my books here with me.

I wish there was a way to have a relative experience system. If the monster was very very challenging, give X amount of experience. If the monster was less challenging, then give Y amount. So, if a 1st level party fought a tribe of goblin barbarians they would get X, while a 10th level party would get Y, far less than X.

This brings up the idea, couldn't a party make an easy situation difficult, by say not buffing up before a fight, to get more XP? This could be construed as power game-y. Should a party that intentionally pulls punches get more of a reward?

What about the scene in "A Princess Bride" where Inigo Montoya fights the Dread Pirate Roberts. Before the fight Inigo says, "I'll have to do it left handed". He was purposefully making it difficult, to try to even up the fight for Roberts. If he had won with his left hand, should he have gotten more experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment